Mr. and Mrs. Galitz

Mr. and Mrs. Galitz

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Adventures in Little Rock July 9th - 10th

Phil's comments:.

We made another 10 hours of driving (or maybe 11 hours...all blurring out on me) to Little Rock, Arkansas.  So nice not to drive in the desert.  A lot of rain, but it didn't slow us down. In Oklahoma City, we did stop off to drive by the memorial at the bombing site.  When I turned up the street and I saw the large black stone gate that through it you can see the other gate with the large reflecting pool between them, sent chills and put a lump in my throat.  I can't believe that horrible event was 15 years or so ago.

On happier note, we did arrive in Little Rock.  We stayed at a beautiful camping site.  Poor little Lizzy is starting to look a little like a Chia Pet.   Humidity is not her friend...but a cool beer does take away the bite from the sticky weather.   I would like to report the motor-home AC works like a charm.

In Little Rock we stopped off at the Clinton Presidential Library.  A very impressive and beautiful structure.  I read that it is the largest of the presidential library.  Lizzy is a huge fans of his.  I have no idea why...but she is letting me go see the King in Memphis....I will make the quick comment that this vast presidential library structure, it seemed more  a monument to a middle of the  road president than a library.   Fitting for the man's ego I guess.  I am sure I will be in trouble with Lizzy after that comment!!!!!  I live dangerously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the Democrat with her head on straight!!

He just couldn't help himself!!!!  The Bill Clinton library was a religious experience.  It had many interesting documents and so much information on what a great president Bill Clinton was.  It was not like the Reagan library in Simi Valley, CA near us that mostly just showcases Nancy's freaking size two dresses....you'd think it was the Oscar De La Renta Library....anywho....

We had a wonderful time in Littlerock and I got a Madeleine Albright pin and a few trinkets to remember my visit.  We stopped at the Littlerock Nature Center which was very interesting.  There was a wonderful Farmer's Market just a block from the gift shop and we got some beautiful blackberries, peaches, watermelon and a vine ripe tomato.  The blackberries were the size of a lime.  They were delicious and didn't last long.

It only took us two hours to get to Memphis.  It was a beautiful drive, so green and lush.  We ate at the famous Neeley's BBQ Restaurant.  It was delicious.  We ordered two sample platters that came with pulled pork, pork ribs, beef, turkey, BBQ beans, and really good cole slaw.  Wow!!!  Good BBQ!  Our campground is just across the street from Graceland and just behind the "Heartbreak Hotel."  Phil took the kids swimming after we arrived.  Tomorrow - Graceland......it will be a religious experience for my husband.





1 comment:

  1. Farmer's Market, BBQ, man I need to go eat something after reading about all the good food you guys have found! Our local Farmer's Market runs every Saturday and our family's own little garden hasn't begun to produce much.

    ReplyDelete